Wednesday 27 April 2022

The Last House on the Street by Diane Chamberlain

 


 

The Last House on the Street is very well written, as I have come to expect from Diane's work.

 

But although it is an easy read in the sense of being told fairly straightforwardly, it is hard in some of the topics covered.

 

These include racism in the South (North Carolina) in the mid-Sixies and its aftermath in the current.  Ellie is a child of the 60's – she's white but throws herself into the civil rights movement.  She falls in love with a black man and that's where the trouble starts.

 

I think the author was brave tackling racism from a white perspective.  I'm not American but the story rang true to me.

 

This is another time shift story – to be honest, I would like some of these authors to go back to telling a story with only one time line – but this is a winner despite that.

 

For other reviews of books by Diane Chamberlain - see these posts -  The Stolen Marriage    The Dream Daughter  Big Lies in a Small Town The Secret Lives of CeeCee Wilkes

3 comments:

  1. An author I like but have not been able to get hold of for a very long time. Thanks for this review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review....I enjoyed this book too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read some of her work but not gotten to this one. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers