Wednesday 24 December 2014

Christmas Crackers



Every Christmas we pull Christmas Crackers at the start of the Christmas meal.  In the crackers are party hats – which always make you feel silly, a token gift and a lame joke.  We read the jokes out to each other – and enjoy them when they are really dreadfully corny.

There is a technique to winning the contents of a cracker – the person who pulls their end and comes away with it after the little bang is made wins.  You grip the end of the cracker not all the way round on the outside but so that you have your fingers firmly on the little cardboard strip inside.

It's a tradition that started in Britain and found its way to other countries such as New Zealand.  Do you pull Christmas Crackers too?

10 comments:

  1. I've never heard of that in the US. How could they be hats? Or is this not what they look like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gloria - inside the tube in the middle of each cracker is a folded up paper hat, a joke and a trinket! Merry Christmas

      Delete
  2. We never have had the crackers, but I've noticed them in stores here this year, so I think perhaps it is something that is growing in popularity in the area. I know it is something that my Anglophile daughter would love to do! Good luck on "winning" your cracker this year and a wonderful holiday season to you and your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    Yes, we have done them. We made up our own. I just love them. I would not mind getting some from England some day. :-) Just to see what the originals are like.
    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't have Christmas crackers here but they sound like so much fun! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you and yours a Very Merry Christmas~ Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know crackers weren't everywhere! It started off as sweets which were shared then a message (later a joke), snap and trinket were added and the sweet disappeared. It's part of Christmas. We always have a competition to see who can keep the hat on the longest. Sometimes it's lasted into a second day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've not heard of them before, but they sound so fun!! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not seen them here, Carole, but they do sound like a lot of fun. I'll have to look around and see if I can find them for next year. Merry Christmas, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Christmas Carol and thank you for hosting your Food on Fridays event. I always come away inspired to try new recipes.
    I grew up in Canada and we always had Christmas Crackers, I miss them, maybe I'll have to see if I can find any in the US for next year.
    Have a great New Year.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers