Monday 25 June 2012

Russian salad with beetroot and potato




I have made this salad for several years and always called it a Russian salad for some reason.  It is quick and easy to make and best of all, delicious.

First you need to have cubes of cooked potato and beetroot to hand.  I boil my potatoes in cubes – quel horreur in many cooks minds but I find it more convenient to cube the potatoes when they are raw – and they then cook in less than 10 minutes.  I put 2 or 3 whole cloves of garlic in with the potatoes when they are cooking.  I drain them when just tender and fish out the garlic cloves which I then smush up with the side of my knife.

I like to roast the beetroot – which takes a while – but canned beetroot also works just fine.

It doesn’t matter what size cubes the potato and beetroot are – the less time I have the bigger they get!

I put in some finely diced red onion – up to ½ an onion.  Do this as small as you can.

Mix everything together while the potatoes are still warm (it helps the flavour to develop).  Add mayo – quantity to your taste.  Sometimes I use half mayo and half crème fraiche or sour cream.  Add lashings of salt and pepper – again to taste.  But we are very fond of pepper.  I prefer white pepper but either is fine.

If you have it to hand, sprinkle a bit of chopped parsley or spring onion on top for colour.


For another recipe, click here

5 comments:

  1. Looks delicious. Pretty color. Thank you so much for the feature on your sidebar. Much appreciated. I enjoy your blog as well :)
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I know I'd love this! But a very new way to serve beets :)

    PS...I'm honored to be featured on your side bar this month! Thanks so much, Carole!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so up my street! Looks and sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so good and reminds me of something my Grandma might have made :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds delicious, a perfect side dish to a lunch at weekend - I need to try this recipe! The garlic must give a lovely mild taste as the gloves are cooked.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers