Sunday 20 November 2022

The German Wife by Kelly Rimmer

 


Thanks to Elizabeth of Silver's Book Reviews I read The German Wife.   I have had a bit of a glut of WWII books lately but this one was a cracker – and different from the others I have read.

 

It is a dual time line book (which normally gets my goat) but it worked for this story.  You learn about a scientist and his family just before and during the war – it shows how step by step they got dragged into doing dreadful things all the time because they wanted to protect their family.

 

You meet them again in the 50's when they have been taken to the US to work on the rocket programme.  How the Germans and their families were treated was a bit of an eye opener to me.

 

You also follow some people who lived in the US in the dusty depression and were based in the same town as the Germans.

 

You will understand the moral dilemmas these people faced (without necessarily agreeing with their choices).

1 comment:

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers