Friday 9 July 2021

Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse

 
 


Out of the Dust was a real surprise.  I would never have chosen this one for myself.  It was published in 1997 but has a much older feel.

 

The whole book is in blank verse. It tells the story of a 14 year old girl living through the dust (after drought) in Oklahoma starting in 1934. 

 

It is a tour de force.  Billie's voice comes through and the terrible circumstances of her family (and so many others). 

 

There is sadness and despair and finally a tad of hope.  I dare you to read it.

4 comments:

  1. I've read and reviewed this one too. I liked this novel too. https://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2012/10/out-of-dust-by-karen-hesse.html#comment-form

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found Out of the Dust through my sons, read and reviewed it. Karen Hesse is a very good author who can bring to life kids from all sorts of eras.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds intriguing. I had not heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers