Wednesday 7 July 2021

Books You Loved: July Edition!

 


Books You Loved: June  Edition provided reviews of lots of great books. Thank you to all. Here are a few that caught my eye:

 

Tracey of Carpe Librum brought over a historical – Katherine Parr – The Sixth Wife by Alison Weir.  She said 'Katharine Parr - The Sixth Wife by Alison Weir can easily be read as a stand alone and is recommended for historical fiction fans with an interest in the Tudor period. I'm sorry to have reached the end of this magnificent series…'

Tracey also posted about Mrs England by Stacey Halls.  She said 'Reading Mrs England felt like being immersed in the world of Downtown Abbey. Not much happens but I just loved being there, the interactions and back stories of the characters being enough to keep me transfixed. It is for this reason that the denouement came as quite a surprise and everything I thought I knew was turned slightly on its head. Oh, and the last line of dialogue between the characters made me exclaim out loud and impatient to discuss it with another reader.'

If you want some quick fun have a look at The Little Book of Lost Words: Collywobbles, Snollygosters, and 86 Other Surprisingly Useful Terms Worth Resurrecting by Joe Gillard .  It was brought to my attention by Captivated Reader.  She said 'The Little Book of Lost Words is a really quick read, well organized, and is also a fun book to read and share with others. It contains an introduction by the author, plus 88 words listed in alphabetical order.'

Soulmate Equation by Christina Lauren was reviewed by Liz of Books I Think You Should Read.  Her post said ' Funny, warm, and full of heart, The Soulmate Equation proves that the delicate balance between fate and choice can never be calculated.'

Last for this time is The Story of The British Isles in 100 Places by Neil Oliver.  Jessica of The Bookworm Chronicles reviewed it – she said 'Travelling from windswept headlands to battlefields, ancient trees to magnificent cathedrals, each of his destinations is a place where, somehow, the spirit of the past seems to linger.

All of which is beautifully described and brought to life in quick, bite-size chapters, that you can easily dip in and out of when time and mood allow, or binge a few in a row as you get swept away into the past and the splendid locations.'

 

Now on to July – the second half of the year! There are no rules for this party.  The only requirement is that your post is about a book that you loved.

 

To add to the list just pop the name of the book (and your name/blog name if you like) into the first Mr Linky box and then copy and paste the url of your post about it into the second box. Mr Linky now also makes you tick a box.

 

I'll be pinning your links to this Pinboard to make it easier for you to check them out at a glance.  

 

10 comments:

  1. hi thanks for the email,
    keep safe
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shoutout, Carole!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for hosting and reminding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good picks.

    Yes..hard to believe it is halfway through the year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the shout out for one of my blog reviews last month! Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the mention, Carole!😊 This month I have linked in the nostalgic murder-mystery Justice Hall by Laurie R. King and the classic science-fiction The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle. Happy reading!🙂

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for including two of my reviews in your June wrap up, Katharine Parr - The Sixth Wife by Alison Weir and Mrs England by Stacey Halls. These were both brilliant reads and I hope more readers discover these bookish treasures.
    I've just linked a contemporary novel that caught me completely by surprise this month. The World At My Feet by Catherine Isaac is about a a social media influencer and avid gardener suffering from agoraphobia and I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just added my two best books from this month. Love a police procedural and I love Lisa Jewell.Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers