Friday 16 April 2021

Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard and Florence Atwater

  


I have always loved penguins so it was a surprise that I had never heard of this book before.  And it has even been made into a movie - starring Jim Carrey in 2011. I can't imagine it transferred that well to the big screen.

 

The book is charming.  It was published in 1938 so feels quite historical as well.

 

The book was started by Richard Atwater who then became ill after a stroke in 1934 and so his wife finished it – largely by doing revisions so that it would be accepted for publication.  There is the same quality throughout so it worked.

1 comment:

  1. I've seen the movie but haven't read the book. Now I want to watch it again and get the book.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers