Tuesday 30 June 2020

Asparagus & Bacon salad

Carole's Chatter: Asparagus & Bacon salad




I made this up when I needed to do a quick lunch and it turned out well.

Fry up some bacon – I used about 4 rashers cut into quarters

Boil water ready to cook asparagus – I didn’t salt it because I think the bacon has enough for the whole dish. 

Prepare asparagus by snapping off woody ends and then cutting into 2 pieces.  If you want to be luxurious, you could just use the tips and save the other half for making soup. 

Cook asparagus in boiling water for 4 -5 minutes – don’t overcook.

Put a sliced tomato, chopped avocado, a couple of slices of red onion, a roughly chopped spring onion into a salad bowl.  Squeeze over some lemon juice (say 1/3 to ½ of a lemon).  Season with pepper  - I used white but black would be fine.  I also put into about a teaspoon of olive oil – but you could leave that out since the bacon has fat.

When the asparagus is ready, drain it and toss it in the pan with the bacon, then put everything into the salad bowl.  Toss and serve as is - it will be warm but not too warm.

I served some condiments with it - a choice of sweet chilli sauce, chilli relish and mayo.

1 comment:

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers