Sunday 31 January 2016

Zucchini Fritters – tasty but a fail

Carole's Chatter: Zucchini Cakes


I've had a go at Zucchini Fishcakes before  with some success.  But these ones didn't work out so well.  They were flavourful but fell apart during the cooking process.

We usually call zucchini courgettes – I'm not sure why – one name sounds Italian and the other French.  They're in season right now and the challenge is always to come up with interesting ways to use them.

Ingredients:

Zucchini
Chilli
Coriander – fresh
Grated Cheese
1 egg
Seasoning
Breadcrumbs
Oil/chili oil for frying

I grated the zucchini and tried to press the liquid out with paper towels – probably didn't do this well enough on reflection.  I added the breadcrumbs in an attempt to soak up some of the liquid.

I just mixed the ingredients together and formed them into little patties with damp hands.  I fried them off gently with some slices of New Year ham.

7 comments:

  1. All of the ingredients sound terrific, I'm sorry it didn't work out as you planned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like zucchini fritters. Getting as much liquid out as possible seems to be key. Also like to make fritters with ground turkey + grated zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fritters still look really tasty even if they didn't stay together. I have better luck when I lightly salt the zucchini and leave it for a bit in the colander before patting/squeezing it dry--it seems to pull more of the liquid out that way. ;-) Aloha, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. They sound fantastic and I wouldn't mind that they fell apart. Once I made salmon patties and they fell apart while I was frying them. It upset me when that happens, but the taste is still good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! Yes, zucchini season! These look like they'd be yummy, but I agree with you and others, often it's the getting the liquid out that's key

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have varying results with mine too. Sometimes they are fabulously firm and other times there is clearly too much liquid left. Either way they are great.

    I out feta in mine once, v good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too have mixed results when I make these. My favorite way with zucchini at the moment is to cut them into strips, oven roast them and then place them into a white wine marinade. I often wish I had made more. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers