Tuesday 9 December 2014

Nostalgia Alert!

Heidi


I guess every little girl over the years has read the book Heidi by Johanna Spyri.  It was originally written in German but as far as I can remember the English version worked perfectly.  The book was published in 1880!  Talk about enduring popularity.

Here is how the book starts:

From the old and pleasantly situated village of Mayenfeld, a footpath winds through green and shady meadows to the foot of the mountains, which on this side look down from their stern and lofty heights upon the valley below. The land grows gradually wilder as the path ascends, and the climber has not gone far before he begins to inhale the fragrance of the short grass and sturdy mountain-plants, for the way is steep and leads directly up to the summits above.

    On a clear sunny morning in June two figures might be seen climbing the narrow mountain path; one, a tall strong-looking girl, the other a child whom she was leading by the hand, and whose little checks were so aglow with heat that the crimson color could be seen even through the dark, sunburnt skin.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Carole,
    I have tossed or donated many books over the years, but I still have my copy of this exact edition of Heidi since the 1950s :-)
    Marg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been bought this book SO MANY TIMES by people thinking they're original and amusing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot find my copy. It is around somewhere. That is definitely one book which is NOT going to be decluttered before we move!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh... I remember that book! It would be fun to pick up a copy and read it again today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does bring back memories. I had this book too. xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers