Tuesday 9 September 2014

Ginger Roast Chicken for Sunday Lunch

Ginger Roast Chicken for Sunday Lunch by Carole's Chatter


We don't usually have a Sunday Roast Lunch but this was an exception.  I wanted to try using fresh ginger when roasting the chicken.
First I let the chicken sit on the bench for an hour or so to come up towards room temperature.
I prepared a mix of softened butter, grated ginger, a teaspoon of garlic infused olive oil, a teaspoon of mixed fresh herbs (chopped) and a squeeze of lemon juice.  I also added salt, white pepper and a teaspoon of turmeric powder.
I slid this mixture under the skin on the breast of the chicken – as you can probably see from the pic, I must have been a bit rough with it because the skin broke apart in the oven.  It didn't seem to affect the taste though.  I also rubbed a bit of the butter mix over the outside of the chicken too.
I put a cut up lemon into the cavity of the chicken. 
I then popped the chicken onto a rack in the roasting tray and put a small amount of wine and coconut water in the bottom – say ¼ cup in all.
I roasted the chicken for one and a half hours in a moderately hot oven.
When your chicken is pretty much done you cook some pasta of your choice.  After taking the chicken out of the pan you remove the rack and then pour off a bit of the fat and then put it on the hob adding some tomato passata.  Once this has boiled a bit you can add your cooked pasta to it – and there you have a pasta sauce from the pan juices. 
This was simple and tasty.

3 comments:

  1. Delicious, Carole! I have some fresh ginger I don't know what to do with (I over-bought). Was going to throw it in the freezer, but I like the idea of using it for roast chicken. Have never done that!
    Thank you for sharing with See Ya in the Gumbo this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! I'm bookmarking to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful Roast Chicken just perfect for Sunday! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope you are having a great week!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers