Sunday 15 September 2013

Broccoli Beef Stir Fry

Broccoli Beef Stir Fry:  Carole's Chatter

This Broccoli Beef Stir Fry was not a total success.  This was not at all the fault of the Dishing with Leslie recipe that I used as a base – the mistakes were all mine.   The flavour was good and so I will be doing it again – but with a lot less cornflour (corn starch).

I am going to give you the quantities I should have used (sufficient for 3-4 people)

1 Tablespoon of Cornstarch dissolved in ¼ cup of water
2 cloves of garlic minced
Thinly sliced steaks (I used scotch fillet) – sliced against the grain – I had to get the assistance of my better half to work that one out!

Put the garlic into the cornstarch mixture and let it sit for a couple of minutes and then add the beef – and let that sit for 15 minutes or so.

Cut your broccoli up into nice, not too thick florets.
An onion cut into ½ slices
A thumb of ginger thinly julienned (if you use powdered ginger instead use a lot less)

1 Chilli finely diced – I used a small fiery hot one

Make up a sauce with 1 tablespoon cornflour, 1/3 cup soy sauce, splash of rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, your prepared ginger and a teaspoon of garlic chilli sauce and your chilli.

So stir fry your beef mixture on a high heat for 5 minutes.  Take the beef out.  Then fry off your onions and broccoli – about 5 minutes – no more or your broccoli will lose its bright green – which is what happened to mine.

Then in with your sauce and the beef and a final fry for a minute or 2.

Because this all cooks quickly you need to start heating your water for rice before you start cooking and time it all to be ready together.



Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Beef with Broccoli is one of my daughter's favorite stir-fries. I think I will try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stir frys are my go to mid week meal, you can always make a tasty stir fry with just a few ingredients. Yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I love Broccoli Beef. I will definitely give this a try. I have never actually made it myself yet. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers