Tuesday 29 January 2013

Meatloaf with Red Bell Pepper surprise – Getting ready for Food on Friday!




This meatloaf which had a surprise layer of red bell pepper (capsicum) didn't turn out perfectly but it was still very tasty.

First I cut up some red capsicum (bell pepper) into largish slices- enough to spread out to make a layer in my meatloaf tin.

Then I made up the meatloaf mix.  Ground beef (mince), a spoonful of mustard powder, generous splash of Worcestershire sauce, an egg, salt and pepper (lashings), a squeeze of tomato paste, a sprinkle of turmeric and finally some breadcrumbs – not too many just enough so the mixture wasn't too sloppy.

I lined the tin with baking paper (so that it would be easy to turn out after molding).  I then put half the meat mixture in the bottom, then the layer of bell peppers and then the rest of the meat.  Press it down and let it sit in the fridge to firm up for 30 minutes or so.

Turn it out into a larger roasting dish.  Put grated cheese (I used mozzarella), grated nutmeg, breadcrumbs and knobs of butter all on top.

Bake in a moderate oven for 45 minutes and enjoy.

PS  Next time I would pre-cook the bell pepper so that it could be squeezed in more – it was still fairly crunchy when it came out.  It was also difficult to slice the loaf without it falling apart.


Pin It

4 comments:

  1. I never tried this kind of baked meat but yours looks great with addition of those spices! I need to try this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you add turmeric in your recipe! Maybe, chopping bell pepper will make it easier to cut next time?Just my 2 cents :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting recipe! I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you put a layer in the middle, I really must try to make meatloaf one of these days! Thanks for being honest about it being hard to slice ... thats where gravy comes in to cover a magnitude of sins!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers