Saturday 6 October 2012

Zurich - a Swiss city with class



I have been fortunate enough to visit Zürich a number of times.  Never for more than a few days at a time unfortunately. 

It is a very compact and tidy city sited on a picturesque lake.  It is the biggest city in Switzerland.  Public transport is good – the trams especially.  While it is noted for its shopping, it didn’t grab me as a great shopping destination. 


The old parts of the town have that wonderful mediaeval feel.  You just can’t beat Europe for atmosphere.


One quirky thing was that I was taken to a traditional Swiss restaurant one night and ordered veal –as you do (Zürcher Geschnetzeltes).  Out came a huge plateful which I struggled through.  And then they took the plate away and brought back the other half of my meal.  It’s a wonder the Swiss aren’t all ten ton Tessies.  So the trick is to order a half portion.

Some people criticise the city as being the Singapore of Europe – it certainly feels just as safe.


A must bring home from Zürich is chocolate.

 

And walks along the lake front are mandatory for any traveller.

1 comment:

  1. SUCH gorgeous photos!!! Seeing them sent my wanderlust into high gear. Haven't yet visited Zurich but would absolutely love to at some point!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers