Thursday 23 August 2012

Try a Stephanie Plum - you will probably enjoy it.



When I tell you how much I enjoy Janet Evanovich books, you will know once and for all that I am not “high-brow”.  Yes, they are escapist, comedic trash – but very enjoyable.  

I would never have come across them if my sister-in-law hadn’t lent me one when I was sick some years ago.  

And now I have read them all and am waiting to read the 19th in the series.  How do I remember it’s the 19th?  Well the first one was called “One for the Money”, the second “Two for the Dough” and so on til the last one “Explosive Eighteen”.  So it makes it easy to know which ones you have read.  

You don’t have to start with the first one really but in my view that would be the best way to go.  There are also “Between the numbers” books which are also a good read.

Janet Evanovich should have a genre of her own, comedy crime capers.

This is part of her own bio from her site:

“I plunged into writing romance novels full time, saying good-by, good riddance to pantyhose and office politics. I wrote series romance for the next five years, mostly for Bantam Loveswept. It was a rewarding experience, but after twelve romance novels I ran out of sexual positions and decided to move into the mystery genre.
I spent two years retooling --drinking beer with law enforcement types, learning to shoot, practicing cussing. At the end of those years I created Stephanie Plum. I wouldn't go so far as to say Stephanie is an autobiographical character, but I will admit to knowing where she lives.
It turns out I'm a really boring workaholic with no hobbies or special interests. My favorite exercise is shopping and my drug of choice is Cheeze Doodles.

I read comic books and I only watch happy movies. I motivate myself to write by spending my money before I make it. And when I grow up I want to be just like Grandma Mazur.”

And from her Q& A section:

Janet, what is your work day really like? I drag myself out of bed around six, shove myself into the clothes laying on the floor and plod down the road after the dog. I eat a boring breakfast of skim milk, orange juice and healthy cereal because when I wake up I always think I'm Christie Brinkley and it seems like something Christie would do. Then I shuffle into the office I share with a really rude parrot. The dog follows after me and flops onto his bed to take a nap. (Next time around I want to be my dog.) I stare at the computer screen for about four hours, sometimes actually typing some sentences. I chew gum and drink green tea to keep myself from falling out of my chair in a catatonic stupor. At noon I'm suddenly filled with energy and rush to the refrigerator, hoping a pineapple upside-down cake with lots of whipped cream has mysteriously appeared. Finding none, I make a tuna or peanut butter and olive sandwich. I go back to my office and visualize myself getting exercise. I play an amazing game of mental tennis. In my mind's eye I look great in the little tennis dress. Very athletic. When I'm done playing tennis I stare at the computer screen some more. When nothing appears on the screen I drive down to the local store and buy a bag of Cheez Doodles. I eat the Cheez Doodles and manage to actually write several pages. When I'm done with the Doodles and pages I wander out of my office looking for someone to whine at because I just made myself fat. (I'm only Christie Brinkley in the morning. In the afternoon I'm Roseanne.) I alternate typing and whining for the rest of the afternoon until about five when I emerge from my office, once again hoping for the pineapple cake.
This gives you a taste of her mind-set and approach to life. It resonates with me, I must say.








10 comments:

  1. Love Janet Evanovich! The Plum series is light and funny. I tend to alternate between Evanovich and something more serious like Lee Child, James Rollins or technical stuff for the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing wrong with brain candy, trust me...you should see my kindle. If you are a cat person ( guilty) , you might try Carole Nelson Douglas's " Midnight Louie " series.

    SU ( Spousal Unit ) an I are book junkies, I only resorted to an e reader because I ran out of wall space for a new book case.

    Waving From Houston.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy the Stephanie Plum series, too, although, frankly, the latest ones seem a bit repetitive and predictable. But, oh, well, Stephanie is Stephanie. She'll never grow up and she'll keep making the same stupid mistakes, but at least she's amusing while she makes them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE her books, rarely these days do I literally laugh out loud while reading but I can always count on Stephanie for at least one good laugh. My only complaint: they read so fast I'm done in a day!
    Karen @ Baking In A Tornado

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, seriously you have an awesome collection there! I love reading Stephanie Plum for it's light and funny moments!

    Nas

    ReplyDelete
  6. My niece was the one who got me going on the Plum series, I have to tell you the audio books just make these characters come alive, the person who reads the part of LuLu just makes me roar with laughter. If you get the opportunity and can pick up one of the audios give it a try you'll laugh until you cry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Stephanie Plum which I read with glee pre-kiddo. Have only read up to book 10 so it's good there are a few to catch up on.
    ~Going to avoid the film with Katherine Heigl though as she doesn't match my minds image of Ms Plum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have get one of these on my e-reader and give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot tell you how much I love these books, too! I would always need to buy the one I was reading, along with the next one in the series...just in case I finished the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have totally been looking for something new to read! She sounds like my kind of writer and I totally see a trip to the bookstore in the near future!

    I wanted to thank you so much for your kind words as we have been dealing with loss in our family. They were so appreciated!

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers