Thursday 14 June 2012

The Time Traveller’s Wife




I really loved The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger.  I am not a "time travel" genre aficionado at all – although I did also like Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series.

But this book is at heart a love story (but not a romance in the normal sense) – really well written and absorbing.  It draws you in so you completely suspend disbelief about the time travel angle.

I enjoyed this much more than "One Day" by David Nicholls.

It was enchanting, funny, warm, original and strangely believable.  It is over 500 pages but doesn't drag at any stage.

I have not seen the movie – and won't be trying to either.  I can't imagine how such a dazzling and complex (in terms of time lines) book could ever be turned into a good movie.

The author has recently released a second novel "Her Fearful Symmetry" which is a ghost story set in and around Highgate Cemetery in London.  That description doesn't inspire me since the supernatural isn't my thing.  But I may just have to give it a go.



3 comments:

  1. I haven't read the book, but I have seen the movie. The movie was pretty good. Even though I didn't read the book, I felt like I had a grasp on what was going on the entire time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is on my must read list. I've read One Day and loved it so I'm sure I'll like this one. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for following my blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers