Saturday 28 April 2012

Smoked salmon salad platter, potato wedges and corn


Smoked Salmon  Platter

The smoked salmon platter was easy but looked great.  Just choose a nice plate, plonk your piece of smoked salmon in the middle, surround it with little piles of red onion, pickled cucumber (could be any sort of pickle), tomato wedges, slices of cucumber, lemon wedges.  Sprinkle some capers and thinly sliced red onion over the top.

Other things you could put on the platter if you had them handy include, chopped boiled eggs (see here for my way of doing them), blinis (you could make your own but there are perfectly good frozen ones in the supermarket), finely chopped red chilli, salmon caviar etc etc.

Sauce with mayo, horseradish and mustard

The sauce I did with it was made of mayo, horseradish sauce and Dijon mustard – with white pepper and a teensy bit of salt.

Corn drizzled with butter, salt and pepper and parsley

To make a meal, I added one corn cob – boiled for 15 minutes in unsalted water.  I put butter, pepper, salt and chilli flakes onto it.  Yum.

My best potato wedges yet

For the first time I made potato wedges that came out perfectly.  I parboiled the potatoes (baking potatoes (Agria) cut up into wedges) for 5 minutes, shook them up in the pot a bit after draining, then coated them in a little vegetable oil, salt and white pepper.  20-25 minutes in a hot fan forced oven and they came out crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.


You might also be interested in a post I did on an asparagus and bacon salad.  If so, click here


If you liked this post, it would be great if you shared it with your readers.  You just have to click on one of the buttons underneath the post.  

19 comments:

  1. smoked salmon is my favorite - i have been doing my own with wonderful effect! I like the potatoe wedges - 'fraid i usually go with boiled reds, but sounds much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your potato wedges look wonderful, I'm going to try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were surprisingly fantastic. Thanks for coming by to comment.

      Delete
  3. I love smoked salmon..and corn and potato wedges...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep a nice combination - I did the platter thing again last night but did an Asian dipping sauce and noodles to go with it - also worked well.

      Delete
  4. You have made me so hungry for fresh corn on the cob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great when they are in season - although the frozen ones work pretty well too.

      Delete
  5. I am not a huge fan of smoked salmon, but your wedges do look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a chance - a good one shouldn't be too rich or fishy. Thanks for the comment

      Delete
  6. Oh gosh. I love smoked salmon and potatoes ... and corn. Yum!!! The platter looks so appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The salmon dish looks delicious, the wedges look amazing. What a fantastic feast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for bringing this to my party! We eat fish on Saturday and this weekend is scheduled to be Salmon. I may have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by my blog ... I came to check out that salmon dish. It looks tasty! I'm craving fish now :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Carole,
    Love this recipe,great combination of side dishes. I will try it.Thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is the kind of dish SO loves, just a lot of veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hanks so much for sharing this on Manic Monday!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i've wanted to smoke salmon for ages. or any fish for that matter. it seems so simple but so, so tasty.

    thank you for sharing with us at the wednesday fresh foods link up! i'm looking forward to seeing what seasonal & real/whole food posts you have this week. hope to see you there! xo, kristy

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers