Wednesday 26 October 2022

Hamnet by Maggie O'Farrell

 


 

I tried to read this book when I got it from the library.  I couldn’t get into it.  Then my sister sent it to me and much later (due to a lack of library books) I gave it a go.  And boy, am I glad!

 

Not a lot is known about Shakespeare himself – but it is known that he had a son called Hamnet who died at 11.

 

This book is a clever reimagining of his family and mother and the ramifications of the loss to the plague.  Does it sound all doom and gloom? Well it isn't.

 

It is a brilliant historical novel.  The only  section that didn't work for me was the one dealing with how the plague exactly got to the UK and their village.

3 comments:

  1. On my TBR pile. Looking forward to it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been hearing so many good things about this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will have a look for that at our library!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers