Sunday 28 November 2021

Happy All the Time by Laurie Colwin


 

I had already enjoyed one work by Laurie Colwin so when I found another I had no hesitation in asking for it.  I assumed that it would also be non-fiction like Home Cooking

 

I put it in the stack of non-fiction from the library and when I picked it up I was surprised to find it was a novel.  Not only that but it was written in 1978. A new edition has been issued this year.

 

This was a time before social media, texts and email – and not too many mobile phones either – actually it was quite soothing to read something set in the late 70's.

 

It is a gentle but perceptive read about 2 friends and their wives.  There are moments of humour and many moments that make you think about what makes people tick.

 

Colwin has written several other novels.  I'll be trying them soon.  Unfortunately she died in 1992 at the much too young age of 48.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers