Saturday 18 September 2021

Love in the Time of Coronavirus by Nikita Gill - A Poem for Our Times

 



Today, we stockpile empathy.

We supply love and good energy.

We sing to each other across buildings.

We say ‘I love you’ through social distancing.

 

Do you know that writing letters

to our friends is back in fashion?

And that we finally have time to read more books,

whether historical or fiction?

 

My cousin told me she hadn’t seen

such a blue sky in her city before.

My uncle went on his first walk in the woods.

He heard a bird sing since the first time he went to war.

 

Even in sickness, this world

is allowed to be beautiful.

And we are still allowed to love it,

for there is always room for hope.

 

This is just me checking in

sending you the moon as a poem,

praying and wishing for us all

a speedy recovery.

 

And if nothing else,

There will always be poetry.

We will always have poetry.

2 comments:

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers