Monday 15 March 2021

Runaway – Del Shannon

 
 


As I walk along, I wonder
What went wrong with our love
A love that was so strong

And as I still walk on, I think of
The things we've done together
While our hearts were young

 

I'm a walkin' in the rain
Tears are fallin' and I feel the pain
Wishin' you were here by me
To end this misery

 

I wonder
I wo-wo-wo wonder
Why... why-why-why-why-why
She ran away
And I wonder where she will stay
My little runaway
I run-run-run-run runaway

 

Taking you back to 1961.  Unusually for the times, Runaway was also co-written by Del Shannon (real name Charles Westover)

 

The song got to Number 1 in Australia, Canada, and yes, New Zealand too.  It was Shannon's biggest hit.  Sadly he killed himself in 1990.

 

To hear the original mono version head over to this YouTube clip.

1 comment:

  1. I recall I saw him perform live in a Dick Clark show which featured many wonderful performers. I love this song, and did not know how he died; that is sad.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers