Sunday 24 January 2021

Italian style rice salad (no mayo)

 



 

I ummed and ahhed about whether to post this dish.  It turned out not to be to my taste and I found the colour the rice turned off-putting.  But it is an alternative to using mayonnaise in rice salad so was worth a try.  Next time I'd use a simple vinaigrette rather than a raspberry one and I'd halve the quantity of rice.

 

Ingredients:

Long grain rice (I used almost a cup – reduce by half)

Chicken Stock

Vinaigrette (raspberry, dumb)

Salt & pepper

Chopped veges – tomatoes, spring onion, red onion, radish and chilli

 

Method:

Cook your rice in the same amount of chicken stock.  Bring the rice to the boil, reduce and simmer for 15 minutes or until the stock  has absorbed into the rice.

 

Chill the cooked rice quickly by spreading it onto a sheet pan and putting it into the fridge.

 

When it is cold add your vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper.  Add your chopped veges and stir.

5 comments:

  1. I just made something similar in the skillet. We are on the same wave length.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That actually sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a huge fan of mayonnaise, either. I'm from Northern Germany where we do make our potato salad (one of THE most typical salads in Germany) with mayonnaise. My husband's from the South and they make it completely without mayo. So, guess which one I've made for the last forty years?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like non-mayo salads, too. I think you're right, it would be better with balsamic or some other flavor of viniagrette instead of raspberry, but I think I would like it like this too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a salad that would be a nice change of pace.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers