Friday 7 August 2020

The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis




I'm sure I'm just about the last English speaking person on earth to have read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe for the first time at my age!

I was aware of it of course and may have seen some clips of the film representation of it.  But as is often the case the book was much better.

It is a bit old fashioned having been published in 1950.  But it hasn't dated in the way that some books have.  At times the author addresses the author directly – which I found refreshing.  I wonder why authors don't do this more often??

The 4 children who are evacuated during the war end up in a big old house.  Lucy discovers a wardrobe and the adventure begins.  The dynamic between the children is interesting – they are not all likeable and quarrel like many siblings.

Aslan is a fabulous hero – what a lion!  If you missed out on this, do give it a go.

3 comments:

  1. That is one of my favorite all time books. The entire set of Chronicles of Narnia are wonderful. I too like that he sometimes addresses the reader directly, which Anthony Trollope does too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful book! I read it as a kid, again as a young adult, and again with my daughter, then again as an audio book. It gets better each time. Lewis is truly great : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! You are such a reader I was surprised that you missed this! But how sweet to find it now! Have you read The Screwtape Letters??

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers