Sunday 9 August 2020

Roasted Pumpkin Soup


Carole's Chatter: Roasted Pumpkin Soup


Roasting the pumpkin adds an extra step and time but does change the flavour of the soup.

Ingredients:

1 whole butternut pumpkin
Cumin
Chilli flakes
Salt & pepper
Olive oil

Onion
Fresh ginger
½ carrot
Olive oil/garlic oil

Thyme
Oregano
Chicken stock
Juice and zest of lemon
Small carton of longlife milk

Method:

Day 1 – roast your pumpkin.  Cut it up leaving the skin on.  Put in a medium high oven after sprinkling with olive oil and seasoning with salt, pepper, chilli flakes and cumin.

Roast until soft.  I left it to cool and put the whole tray into the fridge over night.

Saute a little onion and grated ginger in a mix of olive oil and garlic oil. Add diced carrot.  Cook until soft.

Scoop out the pumpkin – the skin should peel off easily.  Add it to the pan together with the chicken  stock, herbs and lemon juice and zest.

Blend with a stick blender.  If it is thick add the milk to get the soup to the right consistency.  Check the seasoning – I had to add some soy sauce.

3 comments:

  1. Perfect for winter. I love squash soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this recipe! I made a similar version using a Donna Hay recipe but I will try yours as soon as we gte the Butternuts in our market. I aso made soup this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love a good pumpkin soup. We are making soup this week. We talked about pumpkin but ended up choosing pea and ham.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers