Friday 17 July 2020

The Ruby in the Smoke by Philip Pullman




So, but for my kid's book project, I would never have heard of Philip Pullman – or read one of his books.  This one is the first of a quartet – now on my tbr.

So why did I like it.  It dates from 1985 but is actually written as if in Victorian times – lots of capital letters.

A cracking adventure/mystery.  A great heroine and an insight into the seedier side of Victorian times – without being at all mawkish.

The heroine is a bit more modern but this slight anachronism is directly addressed by the author. 

2 comments:

  1. A Victorian mystery with a modern heroine. Whats not to like! Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read and reviewed this novel last November. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers