Friday 31 July 2020

Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfeild




In my mind Ballet Shoes was a very different story – maybe I'm half remembering another book?  But this book published in about 1936 is a good story.

I just checked out Wiki and found that the author was a woman using part of her name that sounded like a man.  That explains the excellent drawing of the female characters (not that a male author can't achieve this as well).

The classic story concerns the life and times of 3 adopted girls, Pauline, Petrova and Posy.  They adopted the surname Fossil because the old man who rescued them also collected Fossils.  He was nicknamed GUM for Great Uncle Matthew.

This book is squarely aimed at girls.  The heroines are very different from each other and somewhat flawed but they stick together.

1 comment:

  1. I would have never read Ballet Shoes if it hadn't been for You've Got Mail but I did enjoy it, even as an adult.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers