Thursday 7 May 2020

Karaka Bay in Auckland




Thanks to a reader suggestion I am starting a new series of posts about New Zealand – I know no one can visit for a long time – but you will find it interesting, I hope!

I have chosen to start with a little beach in Glendowie, one of the Eastern suburbs of Auckland. Another name for the bay is Waiarohe (means the bay of shimmering waters in Maori).

There is no road access to the beach.  You can get there by boat or you can hike to it down a steep path.

It was one of the places where the Treaty of Waitangi was signed in 1840.


You might remember seeing international media coverage in 1997 about a pig that took up residence on the beach.  It was, as you see, a very large white pig called with typical Kiwi understatement 'Piglet'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers