Friday 15 May 2020

Charlotte's Web by E.B.White




Charlotte's Web is not a book I had ever heard of while I was young – all those centuries ago.  So I did not know what to expect.  It was on the UKBookTrust's list of best books for 6 to 8 year olds (No 20)  It was originally published in 1952.

I found it an entrancing read.  In it a little girl (not Charlotte who is a spider) can talk to farm animals and they can talk to her.  Charlotte and Wilbur (a piglet) get to be friends and Charlotte decides to save him from being killed.

She spins words into her web and Wilbur is then treated as a special pig.  There is some sadness in the book given that Charlotte dies.  But she is remembered.

If you want a dose of nostalgia, go get this one from the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers