Friday 24 April 2020

Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian

Image result for goodnight mister tom book cover



Goodnight Mister Tom is 11th on the UKBookTrust's list of best books for 9 to 11 year olds.  At least 5 books higher up that list were not as good in my opinion (for what that's worth).

Based on the blurb I wasn't sure I'd like it.  It is a story about an 8 year old boy who is evacuated to the country during the war.  The boy's background is to say the least underprivileged in every way one could imagine.

And the chap who takes him in is a grumpy old codger.  The story is told in a compelling way.  It is sometimes so sad you can't bear it – but overall it is about the triumph of the human spirit.

I recommend this one to adults as well as over 9 year olds. It was published in 1981 but has stood the test of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers