Tuesday 31 March 2020

Pate & caramelised onion stack – due a re-visit




Carole's Chatter: Pate & caramelised onion stack – due a re-visit

As an experiment I did some pate and caramelised onion stacks.  I used some gluten free bread as well as mixed grain bread.  Both worked out but were quite different as you can see from the pictures.

Next time I'll put some salt and pepper on them and will also serve them with some cornichons or little gherkins because I think the sourness would counteract the sweetness of the caramelised onion.

Before telling you how I did it, an admission.  I bought the pate (chicken and cognac) and the caramelised onion (which was called an onion marmalade and was a bit sweeter than just straight caramelised onion would have been).

So there wasn't a lot of cooking here.  First I cut the crusts off the bread in lots of 3 slices.

Then I buttered the outside of the first slice with softened butter and turned it over (onto greaseproof paper to limit the mess).  Then smear the pate generously on – to make it spreadable just stir it up in a little dish first.  Then the next piece of bread goes on.  Then the caramelised onion mixture followed by the last piece of bread which you butter on the top.

Then into a hottish pan and do about a minute at the most on each side so the outside is golden.  Then cut into fingers and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers