Sunday 23 February 2020

Some Non-Fiction for you today – The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls



I didn't know what to expect from The Glass Castle.  It is a clear eyed memoir of a woman's early life – which was very unusual indeed.  It reminded me a bit of Educated.

The parents here were equally wacky but they weren't religiously motivated.  Basically the mother was a free spirited aspiring artist and the father a raging and violent alcoholic.  How they ever kept 4 children alive is a mystery to me – let alone that all bar one thrived eventually.

I got very angry at the adults (and their parents) when reading this book.  But it did help me understand how kids rationalise situations.

This book is well written but its contents make it a emotional roller coaster.  Strap in for the ride!

I'm ordering up one of her novels – if I like it, I'll post about it.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an intense reading experience. I don't read a lot of memoirs but this might be one for my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed this book even though it was an emotional roller coaster ride as you so aptly describe. However, I just can't compare it with Educated, a book I hated so much that after reading over half of it I said "Enough is enough." I got to the point I didn't believe a word of it. With that said, I would highly recommend The Glass Castle :).

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers