Sunday 5 January 2020

Pork Ribs a la Ruhlman


Carole's Chatter: Pork Ribs a la Ruhlman


I was flipping through From Scratch by Michael Ruhlman when I stumbled on his foolproof way to cook pork spare ribs.  Serependity being in operation, I had some to cook that very night.  I can report that the outcome was delumptious (Roald Dahl reference).  The only downside was the 5 hours in the oven which is a long time and also attracted hordes of flies which had to be dealt to. (excuse the grammar)

How to do it his way:

Salt and pepper the ribs – aggressively.
Sprinkle them with a little water.
Wrap tightly in foil.
Roast in a low oven (c 135C 275F) for 5 hours

Then slather the ribs with your choice of sauce and flash fry in a very hot pan for 2-3 minutes to produce crispiness and char.

I made my own sauce which was also delumptious.

Warm a mixture of cranberry jelly, spicy mango chutney, spicy plum chutney, chilli paste, tomato paste and cherry brandy.

4 comments:

  1. I suggest the pressure cooker, works for me every time with pork ribs. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that there are a couple of recipes from Michael Ruhlman this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Ruhlman! I need to give this recipe a try, though I usually (like Claudia) make mine in the pressure cooker and then finish off on the grill.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers