Wednesday 8 January 2020

A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett




I can't believe that I read this wonderful book only as an adult – what were my adults thinking!  Every adult and child should read A Little Princess.

The heroine Sara is taken to Boarding school, aged only seven, by her rich father.  He dies in India and leaves her penniless and she is badly treated by the headmistress.  But then amazing things happen…

But the best thing, apart from the intensely satisfying story is the character of Sara herself.  She is clever, plucky, imaginative and uncomplaining. You end up cheering for her without reservation.

This book was written between 1888 and 1905 but it shines like a beacon today.

1 comment:

  1. I just read this for the first time last year, and regretted that I hadn't read it in childhood. Such a good story.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers