Sunday 10 November 2019

Grape Jam – taste fine, texture not so good


Carole's Chatter: Grape Jam

I did this experiment upon discovering a bag of frozen grapes in the freezer which dated from Christmas 2017.  After some cursory research I discovered that I could apparently make jam with them.  The results were both good and bad.  But only 1 and a half jars resulted so it's not a big deal.

Ingredients:

1 pound frozen blue grapes (approx. 500g)
Sugar – 1 cup – 250g
Lemon juice – a squeeze

Method:

The recipes I found suggested that you peel the grapes and then blend the skins before adding back the pulp.  They also suggested de-seeding the grapes.

I tried to avoid most of this faff – which probably explains the result.

I just threw the thawed grapes into a pot and tried to mash them – with limited success.  I then snipped at them with kitchen scissors until my patience wore out.

I then boiled the grapes for about 5 minutes before adding the sugar and the squeeze of lemon juice.

I boiled it away fiercely for about 25 minutes.  I tested it on a plate cold from the freezer.  It didn't show any particular signs of setting.

But I had had enough.  I poured it into my clean jars and waited to see.

It had thickened up a bit but was still a mix of runny and grape skins and pulp.  The taste was ok though.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you saved the frozen grapes and made something you will enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would not have the patience that you exhibited. Bravo for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't have the patience either ... I don't see myself peeling grapes!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers