Monday 28 October 2019

Portrait of a Woman inspired by Lucretia by Lorenzo Lotto (1530)




I think the woman in this painting is very striking.  There is something about her features and challenging stare that reminds me of someone – but I can't think who.  The artist was comparing her to a Roman lady who was raped and then stabbed herself to death rather than live with that fact.  I guess our views of that situation have changed.

The picture the woman is holding is of Lucretia, it must be said being rather bare, about to stab herself.

My attention was drawn to this work by a huge doorstop of a book I got from the library – The Art Book from Phaidon Press.  Get it out if you have strong enough muscles.   There are 579 pages, each dedicated to one work by an artist.  The artists are in alpha order so you get interesting juxtapositions between modern art and old masters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers