Friday 6 September 2019

A New Zealand book every kid should read before the age of 12 - I am Rebecca by Fleur Beale




The New Zealand Book Council came up with a list of books by New Zealanders that they reckon every kid should have read by the age of 12.  I decided to check out the ones I haven't read and post about the ones I agreed were good (in no particular order).

I Am Rebecca is the sequel to I am not Esther.  It maintains the same high standard.  A fast engrossing read.

The issues facing young women in a fundamentalist (and closed society) religion are at the heart of this book.  It is clear and non judgmental. But you are left gasping at the lack of choice young women have.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the family I married into when I got married the first time. Women had NO choices.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers