Monday 10 June 2019

State of the Month – South Carolina



Here is the next instalment of my monthly feature going through the States of the United States in alphabetical order to check out how they got named, what their flag is like and other things of interest. 


Location – the easternmost state of the Deep South.

Origin of name – named after the Latin form of Charles I

Nicknames – The Palmetto State


Flag


Capital – Columbia (but the largest city is Charleston)


Unusual town name – Ketchuptown


Flower – Yellow jessamine


State Tree – Sabal palmetto


Bird – Carolina wren


Signature foods – Barbecue (or just cue), Shrimp & Grits, Peaches and Boiled Peanuts


Famous places to visit – Lake Wylie in autumn, The Pink House (Charleston), Caesar's Head State Park, Pawley's Island, Beaufort and Myrtle Beach

Famous businesses/brands – Denny's (we even have them here in NZ)


Famous people from South Carolina – James Brown (godfather of soul), Joe Frazier (boxer), Dizzy Gillespie (jazz), Jesse Jackson, Eartha Kitt, Nikki Haley (Governor)

Go to this Pinboard to see the States of the Month so far.

1 comment:

  1. I love visiting South Carolina, it's where my husband and I got married! We are hoping to visit again this year. I learned some new things about my favorite state from you today :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers