Sunday 23 June 2019

Crunchy Pea Salad with Bacon


Carole's Chatter: Crunchy Pea Salad with Bacon


Thanks to Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies for the inspiration.  I changed things around a bit not having some ingredients but it still worked.  I am not a huge pea fan so finding something tasty to do with them is a real boon.

Ingredients:

Frozen peas (thawed and drained)
Chopped nuts – brazil nuts
Spring onion (scallion)
2 slices of bacon
Small amount of chopped onion
Handful of dried cranberries and sour cherries
¼ cup mayo
Vinegar – a little splosh
Sugar – 1 cube
Soy sauce & Worcestershire sauce – tiny splosh of each
Salt & pepper

Method:

Thaw and drain your peas – I used about half ordinary peas and half baby minted

Cook your bacon with the onion.  Let it cool and put it on kitchen paper and then transfer to a board to cut up.

In a small container mix the mayo, vinegar, sugar, soy and Worcestershire.  Don't overdo the soy and Worcestershire – you want the other flavours to shine.

Put the peas, nuts and dried fruit into a larger bowl, add the cooled bacon bits.  Pour the dressing over and mix. Taste and add salt and pepper to your taste.

Chill for at least 1 hour.  When it came to eating time I found it just a bit cold – should have left it out for 20 minutes or so.

6 comments:

  1. Everything's better with bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Claudia: you can't go wrong with bacon. Fresh peas are the veggie of the week at the farmer's markets here, so I'll have to give it a try. I'm one of those people who really likes peas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you tried it! I like the appearance of yours since you cut back on the mayo. Much prettier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love a good pea salad--looks so tasty! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carole, how funny -- just after I put up MY pea salad and started visiting links I found YOUR pea salad! Sounds wonderful. I love all kinds of pea salads. #CarolesChatter

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers