Saturday 8 June 2019

Becoming by Michelle Obama




So I'm late to the party because I was a long way down the library order list and waited months for this book.  But I'm going to review it now just in case you haven't heard about it.

No matter what your political views may be, I can recommend this book.  The first half was interesting but the second half was powerfully affecting.  At times I felt such pent up emotion that I had to take a break.  I can't explain why it affected me so much but it did.

One take out from the book was the power of adults letting kids know that they are proud of them and believe in them.  So I'm going to try to boost all young people I come into contact with.

The book is divided into 3 sections – Becoming Me, Becoming Us and Becoming More – the first deals with her life up until getting involved with Obama, the second with their relationship up until he was elected and the third with life in the White House.

Michelle Obama categorically states that she won't be running for office and that she dislikes politics.  We have to accept that of course but I hope there are more people out there like her who could help run all our countries.

7 comments:

  1. That's a great review. I haven;t read it yet but it does get high marks. Don't blame her for not liking politics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I listened to this while in Florida (downloaded from library too)...it was a great book and Michelle did the reading which really made the book even more powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to read this as I find her a very fascinating woman and I believe that she held the office as first lady and a mom as graceful as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becoming was one of my favourite books, certainly this year if not for a couple of years. Michelle Obama is such a wonderful person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am beyond excited to know you have read this! Isn't it great?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to listen to the audio book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard such good things about it, but I've still not made it to the party :) I'm glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers