Wednesday 27 March 2019

The Red Address Book by Sofia Lundberg




The Red Address Book was recommended to me by Elizabeth of Silver's Review's.  And she was right.  I loved it.

It is translated from the original Swedish but it has been done well.

It is really a book about the influence of love on our lives but it is approached in a very inventive way. The tale centers on the life of Doris who is 96.  She decides to record the events of her life for her one remaining adult relative.  So the story meanders between those writings and the events happening to the old lady now.

She is a fiercely independent woman who finds the restrictions imposed by her age very galling.

Re-reading what I have just written, I realise I haven't captured the tone of the book at all well.

So I will leave you with the words of Katarina Bivald (author of The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend):

A warm and tender story about life, memories and the power of love and friendship.  A novel with heart and humor.'

2 comments:

  1. That sounds interesting. My son moved to Sweden last year and I've tried to find some more Swedish authors, so here's another one. Sounds interesting. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers