Monday 25 March 2019

Augustus John




Augustus John was a popular Welsh artist.  I have to admit that I had never heard of him before picking up an art book about him while browsing in the library.  John was incredibly successful before falling out of favour with the critics in the art establishment.  In New Zealand we would call it an example of the 'tall poppy' syndrome.


While John was simply fabulous at drawing his life was to say the least unconventional.  For instance he had 13 children with 6 different women. Talk about complicated Christmases!

His sister was Gwen John – also a talented artist.


I hope you enjoy the works I have chosen to feature.

1 comment:

  1. During the 1930s he lived here in Dorset (not far from where I live now) As you say, he had a VERY unconventional lifestyle. But I DO like the picture of Gwen you've chosen

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers