Wednesday 20 February 2019

Dorothy Parker – “What Fresh Hell Is This?” – A biography by Marion Meade


I was attracted to this biography, not because of Dorothy Parker, but because I had enjoyed a biography of Eleanor of Aquitaine by the same author.  I thoroughly enjoyed learning about Dorothy Parker.  I think you would enjoy this too.

Dorothy was known for her outrageous one-liners, her ruthless theatre criticism, her clever verses and bittersweet stories.  Her life is laid pretty bare in the biography in a very compelling way. 


I like to have a martini,
Two at the very most.
After three I'm under the table,
after four I'm under my host.
- Dorothy Parker

2 comments:

  1. I have loved Dorothy Parker since I was 9 years old! I had a book of hers then and I read it over and over. Imagine how a book by Dorothy Parker could have impacted my life! She did. I cannot remember the name of it but I need to do some research and see if I can find it again.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite Dorothy Parker quote: "Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker."

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers