Monday 4 February 2019

American Pie by Don McLean




A long long time ago
I can still remember how
That music used to make me smile
And I knew if I had my chance
That I could make those people dance
And maybe they'd be happy for a while

But February made me shiver
With every paper I'd deliver
Bad news on the doorstep
I couldn't take one more step

I can't remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride
Something touched me deep inside
The day the music died

So
Bye, bye Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry
And them good ole boys were drinking whiskey and rye
Singin' this'll be the day that I die
This'll be the day that I die


Today I bring you one of the great songs, perhaps of all time, but certainly of 1971. American Pie was composed and performed by Don McLean.  It was a really long track.

The song mentions 'the day the music died' – a reference to that dreadful day when a plane crashed and we lost Richie Valens, Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers