Wednesday 29 August 2018

Smoking Kills by Antoine Laurain




I can't tell you much about this book – if I did you wouldn't want to read it!  Despite its off putting title and cover I found myself chuckling a lot as I read it.  So entertaining, so French.

The translation is a tour de force.

Here are some of the things others have said about the book (leaving out all spoilers):

It has the pleasing weirdness that makes Laurain's novels so appealing – The Sunday Times
Smoking Kills is one heck of a book … a romp and a satire and it is a reminder of all that is funny-peculiar about Parisian culture. Read this book. It will be good for your health.’ Shots Magazine
This is a real tonic for the soul (…) Smoking Kills is a very black comedy, it is a lot of wicked fun (…) original and playful and entertaining.’ Nudge Books

Hilarious, formidable — and essential packing for any French Summer holiday’ The Daily Mail

I have read other books by this author – The Red Notebook and The President's Hat – always worth reading but this one takes the cake for me.

1 comment:

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers