Sunday 10 June 2018

Japanese Style Crunchy Cabbage Salad


Carole's Chatter: Japanese Style Crunchy Cabbage Salad


We don't eat a lot of cabbage so when the better half brought one home, I had to do a bit of research to come up with something different.  We like Japanese flavours so I did this Crunchy Cabbage Salad.  It was crunchy and tasty but I felt it was just a little bit too sour.  If you are going to try this I suggest you add a little bit of sweetness (honey or maple syrup maybe).

Ingredients:

For the Dressing:
1 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp garlic oil (or crushed garlic0
1 tablesp miso paste
2 tablesp rice wine vinegar
1 tablesp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tablesp water

Veges:

Cabbage
Carrot
Chilli for garnish

Method:

Mix the dressing ingredients together until they are combine and smooth – I used a little whisk thing.

Peel the carrot and then peel strips of carrot with your peeler – don't use the core of the carrot.

Take any manky outside leaves off the cabbage and then finely shred it – I used about ½ a cabbage for this amount of dressing.

If you want to keep the salad really crunch mix the dressing through just before serving.  If you want the flavours to meld and soften the cabbage a bit, dress the salad a couple of hours ahead.

I popped a little red chilli on top for a pop of colour.

4 comments:

  1. I think this would make a refreshing change from the typical American style slaw, which uses mayonnaise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually make slaw with cabbage but I like your version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love salad and cabbage, that sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious. I like your suggestion for a bit of sweetness.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers