Sunday 22 April 2018

Beef & Spinach Ragout


Carole's Chatter: Beef & Spinach Ragout


First I have a confession – this pic was not taken when the food was made but was done the next day with the leftovers. I have to say that not having to worry about it getting cold was quite liberating.

Ingredients:

Cross cut blade steak
Flour – seasoned
Oli/Garlic oil
Carrot
Potato
Borlotti beans
Marmite
Beef stock cube
Paprika
Chinese cooking wine
Mushroom water (from soaking dried mushrooms)
Spinach
Cream

Method:

Because I started this dish a bit late I cut everything up quite small and cooked with a higher heat than usual to have it ready.

Cut up your steak into smallish cubes and toss them in flour which has been well seasoned with salt and pepper

Brown the meat in your casserole pan in the oil/garlic oil

Deglaze the pan with the Chinese cooking wine and hot water, and the mushroom water.

Add your stock cube, Marmite, the cubed potato and carrot. If you don't have Marmite you could add Worcestershire sauce instead. Sprinkle in paprika (I used about 2 teaspoons)

Add your drained beans.

20 minutes before serving add chopped fresh spinach and 2-3 spoonfuls of cream.


I served this with a little horseradish cream sauce.


4 comments:

  1. Yes, I feel the same way- having to photograph takes away from a meal..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about photographing my dishes! I had to look up borlotti beans -- we call them cranberry beans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I was go to look up borlotti beans but BFR just answered my question with her comment here. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always a challenge to take pics and not get cold food. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers