Sunday 18 February 2018

Slow Cooker Corned Beef



Carole's Chatter: Slow Cooker Corned Beef


I have not been using my slow cooker much.  So I decided it was time to give it a whirl.

Ingredients:

Corned beef (or silverside)
Onion
Celery
Carrot
Bay Leaf
Peppercorns
Mustard seed
1 bottle of ginger beer
¼ cup vinegar
Water to top up

Method:

Rinse your corned beef.  The one I had was covered in a lot of fat so I cut a lot of that off.

I put a layer of vegetables on the bottom of the cooker and then popped the meat in and the rest of the veggies nestled around it.

I poured the ginger beer over and the vinegar.  The top of the meat was poking out quite a long way so I added some water along with the bay leaf and seasonings.  Note there is no need to add salt – the corning process is quite salty enough.

I cooked this on high for an hour and then on low for about 4 hours.  (Low on my slow cooker feels more like medium to me).  I checked the core temperature of the meat with a thermometer before deciding it was done.

The carrots ate well with it but I threw out the onion and celery which had lost flavour after such long cooking.

6 comments:

  1. Oh yum! I love fresh corned beef like that. I usually add a couple of potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my slow cooker but i love my Instant pot even more

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just in time to remind me to use it for Corned beef and cabbage, with St. Pat's coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My slow cooker has always been my favorite kitchen appliance. I think I'm on my 7th one if that tells you anything. But, I've been thinking about getting an Instant Pot soon to replace it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting with the ginger beer. Sounds tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like an easy way to do it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers