Monday 4 September 2017

Layla





What'll you do when you get lonely
And nobody's waiting by your side?
You've been running and hiding much too long.
You know it's just your foolish pride.

Layla, you've got me on my knees.
Layla, I'm begging, darling please.
Layla, darling won't you ease my worried mind.

Layla was not only famously performed by Eric Clapton, it was also written by him in 1970 – that's a long time ago now!

At the time, Clapton was with a band called Derek and the Dominoes (never became famous, I wonder why?). 

The lyrics are apparently from a Persian story of a tragic love affair between Layla and Majnun.  Lord Byron called it the Romeo & Juliet of the East. 

Layla's father wouldn't let them marry and got her to marry someone else.  She went into a decline and died and Majnun went off into the desert as a crazy man and wrote poetry about her.  All tragic.

The song wasn't very popular initially but later went on to be Clapton's signature song.

1 comment:

  1. I do admire Clapton's song writing and performing skills. My favorite of his is one I posted a link to, of his duet with Pavaroti, "Mother Mary Hear My Cry".

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers