Sunday 23 July 2017

Japanese Beef Stew



Carole's Chatter: Japanese Beef Stew


My better half is being very patient with my current enthusiasm for experimenting with Japanese flavours.  I hope you'll put up with it as well.

Ingredients:

Blade steak cut into chunks
Vegetable oil
1 cup of dashi (made with dashi powder and hot water)
½ cup of sake  or mirin
1 slice of red onion
1 lump of rock sugar
Potatoes
Carrots
3 tblsp soy sauce (preferably Japanese)
Herbs for garnish

Carole's Chatter: Japanese Beef Stew

Method:

Brown the beef in batches
Add the onion
After a couple of minutes add the dashi, mirin and rock sugar.
Simmer the beef for one hour.
Steam the potatoes and carrots – I used a microwave steamer – the potatoes and carrots were sliced.
When they are done and after the hour, add the potatoes and carrots to the beef.  Then add the soy sauce. Simmer for 3 minutes and finish with a garnish of herbs just before serving.

4 comments:

  1. There's a beef stew recipe for every culture! I will have to try this one for my step son! He loves Japanese food and he is a real true FOODIE! You are always cooking up something interesting in Carole's Corner! By the way, I am missing your Sunshine Bay Sav Blanc down here in Texas! I used to get it all the time at Aldi's but now I can't find it anywhere. Perhaps the vineyards for it didn't do well this past year. I'll keep looking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We get a lot of the Japanese food flavors out this way. Hope he liked your stew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's the benefit of being with someone who likes to cook, you always get to try new foods and flavors. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers