Sunday 18 June 2017

Kumara Pie



Carole's Chatter: Kumara Pie


Kumara Pie is a favourite side dish for Pasifika people. It was simple to make but maybe a bit sweet for me.  It might suit you if you have a sweet tooth.

Ingredients:

4 kumara (sweet potatoes) cut up into chunks
Knob o butter
1 egg beaten
½ can of drained crushed pineapple
Salt and pepper
Grated parmesan cheese or tasty cheese.

Method:

Boil the kumara until tender.  While the kumara is cooking heat the oven to 180 degrees C (about 350F).

Grease your pie dish.

Mash your kumara with the butter.  Add the beaten egg and crushed pineapple and season with salt and pepper.

Mix and then top the pie with the grated cheese.

Next time I would reduce the amount of pineapple, increase the seasoning and use more butter.

5 comments:

  1. Wasn't aware of the term Pasifika, had to Google it. Might try that, with fresh pineapple maybe it wouldn't be so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading Claudia's comment, I had to chuckle... I was googling Kumara :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sweet potatoes, I'm pinning this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sweet potatoes too. I bet cutting down on the pineapple would help with the sweetness

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers